AFPRSC not printing image in *AFPDS printfile.
Hawk
2005-08-01 14:54:33 UTC
I'm attempting to print a small JPEG image in a printfile and it does
not seem to be inserting the image into the spooled file. Am I missing
something? BTW, no errors in the joblog.

TIA, Hawk

5722SS1 option 36 "OS/400 - PSF/400 1-45 IPM Printer Support"
installed.
at V5R3; PTF's SI18644 and SI17364 are temporarily applied.

Path to image file was tried as a P-type variable, a hardcoded value
and as a default in environment variable (current
version): QIBM_AFP_RESOURCES_PATH as
'/QIBM/UserData/OS400/AFPresources'

Image file: /QIBM/UserData/OS400/AFPresources/00016.jpg

Spooled file attributes are:
Device type . . . . . . . . . . . . . : PRINTER
Printer device type . . . . . . . . . : *AFPDS
AFP resource . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Y

Source for DDS printfile:
*PARMS DEVTYPE(*AFPDS)
*
A R #VNDLOGO TEXT('Vendor logo')
A AFPRSC('00016.jpg' *JFIF +
A 1.0 1.0)

Source for RPGLE program:
*PARMS
*
Fdp0300p1x o e printer
*
C write #vndlogo
C eval *inLR = *on
Rodney Johnson
2005-08-01 15:41:21 UTC
See my response under thread "HP Laser Printer Shopping List".
--
Rodney A Johnson
Technical Team Lead for AS/400 Spool

my employer, IBM. All responsibility for the statements
sender.
Hawk
2005-08-01 19:38:41 UTC
Thanks Rodney,

You said in that thread:
"Essentially" there is no color image support in the OS. In V5R3, the
ability to add color was implemented in AFPDS (AFPRSC DDS keyword).
However, HPT was not updated to handle it, and there are no IPDS color
printers within anyone's price range that can be hooked to the i5/OS.

That leaves you with IPS/400 and conversion to a PDF...which then would

need to be sent to either a PDF (and color) capable printer, or printed

via Acrobat to a PS or PCL color printer.

Send in requests for this support to your IBM service or marketting
representative...that's the only way to get the purse strings opened up

(they don't listen to us developers).

I tried to use google for IPS/400 but don't find a hit anywhere close
to printing. Is that the proper acronym? IPS i mean?

BTW, we use RJS's spoolfile conversion package to get from an AFPDS
printfile to a PDF file. Are you saying that colorized items (AFP
resources and color keywords) isn't supported?

Thanks in advance,
Hawk
l***@nospamjbmsystems.com
2005-08-01 21:14:28 UTC
HI,

Another potential might be exceliprint from Brooks (www.brooksnet.com) which
runs on a windows box. You might want to check it out. My software,
OctoTools (www.octotools.com) uses their RPM Select software as a very good
LPR/LPD to create remote output queues from spool files so that I can then
automatically process the data into PDFs, add forms/design/images (including
color), process and burst as needed and then automatically distribute the
output as web based, e-mail or printed reports.

Any questions on the AFPDS side give the people at Brooks a call, they do
know their stuff. If you wanted to know a bit more about OctoTools, then
give me a call at 978 535-7676.

Thanks and I hope this is of help.

Larry T.
Roger Vicker, CCP
2005-08-01 23:50:03 UTC
Post by Hawk
Thanks Rodney,
"Essentially" there is no color image support in the OS. In V5R3, the
ability to add color was implemented in AFPDS (AFPRSC DDS keyword).
However, HPT was not updated to handle it, and there are no IPDS color
printers within anyone's price range that can be hooked to the i5/OS.
Not true! I am using V5R3 and HPT to a HP 4650 (I think... not at the
office to check the model) color laser printer and am printing color
fonts, boxes, and lines.

Color page segments come out B&W but color page overlays print almost
true. Overlays have a problem with overlapping objects, at least when
produced with MS Word and the limited number of AFPDS print drivers that
I have tried.

<snip>

Roger Vicker, CCP
--
*** Vicker Programming and Service *** Have bits will byte *** www.vicker.com ***
The price of greatness is the responsibility.
Rodney Johnson
2005-08-02 13:05:46 UTC
My reference to lack of color support was with regard to images. Box,
line, and text have been support by HPT for many years. I should have
clarified.
Post by Roger Vicker, CCP
Thanks Rodney,

sender.
Rodney Johnson
2005-08-02 13:09:05 UTC
IPS/400 - InfoPrint Server. This product supports IPDS to PDF
transformation via the IPDS printer writer configuration. This
converions supports the imbedded color images that can be specified via
the AFPRSC DDS keyword (at 300 DPI).

I cannot speak to what RJS will or will not support with regard to
AFPDS. Since the AFPRSC DDS keyword is relatively new, they may or may
not have had time to update their product to support it.

My references to lack of support (color image) are IBM products only.
Thanks Rodney,

sender.
Hawk
2005-08-03 23:06:39 UTC
Thanks for the information Rodney,

I will check with the RJS folks to determine if they have/will be able
to handle color conversions.

I'm also trying to print this thing to a Infoprint Color 1464 printer,
and have been working with Traci L. Rau of IBM to get that box
configured. We have that done, and it prints color text, but still not
the AFPRSC image. I have a small program which outputs a test page
(included above), but still no luck. Have any ideas on who I should
contact?

Thanks,
Hawk
Rodney Johnson
2005-08-04 19:25:46 UTC
You might want to check to see if your printer has the "low cost IPDS
DIMM" that Paul Tykodi refers to in the other discussion thread "HP
Laser Printer Shopping List". I'm not sure how you would determine
this...this is first time I've heard of this capability in an IPDS DIMM.

If you have that IPDS DIMM, then you need to make sure the image you
specify on the AFPRSC DDS keyword is of the IOCA FS45 format.

The way that the AFPRSC DDS keyword works (from IPDS point of view) the
image is passed straight through to the printer and the printer is
expected to process the image. If the printer cannot handle the image
type, it would be ignored.

sender.
Paul Tykodi
2005-08-13 03:52:47 UTC
Dear Rodney and Hawk,

The continued enhancement of the AFP architecture and the IPDS data
stream have added some interesting capabilities regarding color
printing to the lower speed desktop InfoPrint color laser printers
available from IBM.

The code that runs on the IPDS Dimm you can install into some of these
color laser printers has been enhanced to support IPDS full color
printing. The support added is for the IOCA tower Function Set 45
commands.You will need to consult IBM documentation to see which of
the color printer models now support full color IPDS printing.

This means that you need to be printing from an IBM host with OS/400
release V5R2 or later, have the correct level of code loaded onto the
IPDS Dimm in the InfoPrint color laser printer you are using for
printing your color image, and have converted your image into a format
that will be rendered using the AFP IOCA tower.

There is another new feature, which has been added into IPDS, called
object containers. This feature allows other file formats including
JPEG to be embedded within an IPDS data stream and passed without
conversion to the printer.

The IBM documentation I read mentioned that the lower speed InfoPrint
printers do not support IPDS object containers at this time.

Thus you need to make sure that you either convert the JPEG file into
a source file to make a page segment utilizing the color support of an
IBM AFP Windows printer drive or verify that AFPRSC DDS keyword will
be converting your JPEG file into an FS45 described image rather than
placing it into an object container for delivery in its native format
to the printer.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

Hawk
Hawk
2005-08-17 00:23:40 UTC
I'm back from a few days in Tahoe -- boy did I need that. So, back
into it.

I read with interest Paul & Rodney's reference to the IPDS support on
our Infoprint Color 1464 -- which is still a question, becaues when we
printed the configuration off the printer we could not determine the
level of support. It's a new printer, but I'm not positive about that
support. What's interesting is that we're getting an error in QSYSOPR,
which I would assume would indicate that the failure occured before it
really got into the guts of the machine.

The JPEG image still isn't printing properly, so I've added a few
details to this post (as follows):

Any additional clues?

System details:
---------------
V5R3, at cume TL05102,
and some specific PTF's:
MF34735, MF34758, MF34942, MF34983, MF34994, MF35000, MF35239, MF35255
MF35393, MF35498, MF35517
SI17569, SI17809, SI18427, SI18605, SI18653, SI19115, SI17589, SI18040
SI18490, SI18491, SI18492, SI18493, SI16506, SI18100, SI19149, SI19231
SI18042

System application programs:
----------------------------
5722SS1 V5R3M0 L00 Operating System/400
5722SS1 V5R3M0 OS/400 - PSF/400 1-45 IPM Printer Support
5722AF1 V5R2M0 AFP Utilities
5722TC1 V5R3M0 TCP/IP Utilities
5722SS1 V5R3M0 OS/400 - AFP Compatibility Fonts

Errors on QSYSOPR:
------------------

Message ID . . . . . . : PQT2848 Severity . . . . . . . : 40

Message type . . . . . : Information

Date sent . . . . . . : 08/16/05 Time sent . . . . . . :
15:36:02
From program . . . . . : QPQSMSGX
Message . . . . : The resource beginning with the BOC structured
field
cannot be sent to the printer as a hard resource.

Cause . . . . . : An error was found while processing file DP0300P1X
number
000002 in job 882312/TIMH/QPADEV003J created on system TOTO at
08/16/05
15:09:58. Either the printer or your PSF does not support sending
this
resource to the printer as a hard resource managed by PSF. It will be

treated as a soft resource by PSF each time it is included in a page
or
resource. A soft resource is sent to the printer each time it is
included.
The error was detected with reason code 1. The reason codes have
the
following meanings:

1 -- Error in spooled file DP0300P1X number 000002 for job

882312/TIMH/QPADEV003J created on system TOTO at 08/16/05 15:09:58.

2 -- Error in external resource in library of type .

3 -- Error in inline resource of type .

Recovery . . . : Correct the error and submit the print request
again. For
information about structured fields, refer to Mixed Object Document
Content
Architecture (SC31-6802) and AFP: Programming Guide and Line Data
Reference
(S544-3884).

Technical description . . . . . . . . : The internal message
identifier (ID)
is SMSGX001.

Message ID . . . . . . : PQT2834 Severity . . . . . . . : 10

Message type . . . . . : Information

Date sent . . . . . . : 08/16/05 Time sent . . . . . . :
15:36:02
From program . . . . . : QPQSMSGX
Message . . . . : Printer COLOR does not support the object that
starts with
a OTH structured field.

Cause . . . . . : An error was found while processing file DP0300P1X
number
000002 in job 882312/TIMH/QPADEV003J created on system TOTO at
08/16/05
15:09:58. Your print request for printer COLOR contained an object
that
begins with a OTH structured field. Printer COLOR does not support
this type
of data stream object. If you specified absolute fidelity, processing
of the
print request ended. If you specified content fidelity, the object
was
ignored and the remainder of the print request was printed.

The error detected with reason code 2. The reason codes have the

following meanings:

1 -- Error in spooled file DP0300P1X number 000002 for job

882312/TIMH/QPADEV003J created on system TOTO at 08/16/05 15:09:58.

2 -- Error in external resource 00016.jpg in library **IFS** of
type
*OBCONT.

3 -- Error in inline resource 00016.jpg of type *OBCONT.

Recovery . . . : You must submit the print request to a printer that

supports a data stream object type that begins with a OTH structured
field,
or code the information in another data stream type. For more
information
about what data stream types your printer supports see your printer
data
stream manual.

Technical description . . . . . . . . : The internal message
identifier (ID)
is SMSGX001.

Device description as set by ***@us.ibm.com:
CRTDEVPRT DEVD(COLOR) DEVCLS(*LAN) TYPE(*IPDS) MODEL(0) +
LANATTACH(*IP) AFP(*YES) PORT(9600) ONLINE(*YES) +
FONT(011 *NONE) FORMFEED(*AUTOCUT) SEPDRAWER(*FILE) +
PRTERRMSG(*INQ) MSGQ(*CTLD) ACTTMR(170) IMGCFG(*NONE) +
MAXPNDRQS(6) PRTCVT(*YES) FORMDF(*LIBL/F1C10110) +
CHRID(*SYSVAL) RMTLOCNAME('192.168.152.230') +
USRDFNOBJ(*LIBL/COLOR *PSFCFG) PUBLISHINF(*UNKNOWN +
*UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN *BLANK *UNKNOWN) TEXT('IBM +
InfoPrint 1464') DEPLOCNAME(*NONE)

Printer file DP0300P1X:
-----------------------
*PARMS DEVTYPE(*AFPDS)
*PARMS HOLD(*YES)
*
A R #VNDLOGO TEXT('Vendor logo')
A AFPRSC('00016.jpg' *JFIF +
A 1.0 1.0 (*PATH +
A '/home/images/icons/vendors'))
*
A R #BLUCOMNT TEXT('Blue comment')
A 10 10'Blue comment'
A FNTCHRSET(QFNT300LA1/C0N400J0 +
A QFNTCDEPAG/T1V10037)
A COLOR(BLU)

RPG program DP0300RX:
---------------------
*PARMS
*
Fdp0300p1x o e printer
*
C write #vndlogo
C write #blucomnt
C eval *inLR = *on
Rodney Johnson
2005-08-18 14:38:16 UTC
Recall that Paul states that you need to look at the IBM documentation
to see what printers support the IOCA FS45 commands.

Also, note that Paul states that some of these printers support the IOCA
FS45 commands. He specifically noted that many printers do not yet
support the object container support.

What that means is AFPRSC DDS keyword will not work unless you have a
printer that supports the object containers. Based upon the messages
you have, it would appear that your IPDS printer does not support object
containers.

That does not mean you cannot print color image. You still have one
possibility. First you would need to convert your image to the IOCA
FS45 format (jpeg won't work). Paul lists ways in which you might
accomplish that task.

Next, you would want to take that resulting output and generate an
overlay (or page segment). Then use something like the OVERLAY DDS
keyword to include and position the overlay containing the color image.
Post by Hawk
[...]
From program . . . . . : QPQSMSGX
[...]
From program . . . . . : QPQSMSGX

sender.
Hawk
2005-08-18 16:45:48 UTC
We had already tried to convert the image to IOCA FS45 and that didn't
work either.

We tried to verify that this printer supports IOCA FS45, and nothing we
can find says that, so I suppose this is our fault for believing that
IPDS printers handle AFP output. The people that sell these things see
IPDS and just assume it's the only flavor -- and we trust them to sell
us a product which *should* print images.

I talked with Kurt at IBM who indicated that the only way to get this
all to happen is to use page segments. We found that page segments
worked ok. So, I guess issue solved.

Obviously I would prefer the use of AFPRSC, that since it *should* be
able to take a raw image and print it. Taking each image, running it
thru the AFP print driver -- twice, once for 240pels (fax) and once for
300/600pels (printing), and then transferring each file to a DB2
database (or using iSeries Navigator) and creating page segments for
each one is a total pain in the ass. This all is especially true since
we have like 1000 active vendors...

So, I have a solution, but it sure ain't very elegant -- sure, it would
be ok if I only wanted to print the company logo on the invoice, but
the project is to print the vendor's logo on each segment (we are a
travel wholesaler).

Apparently this printer was choosen since it was relatively cheap
($4k), was made by IBM so we know it would work with the 400, and
supported IPDS. Challenge is that the VAR type salespeople don't have,
and wouldn't understand anyhow, the information to handle this complex
an issue.

Printing color is very cool -- but also way more complex than it
probably should be. The addition of the AFPRSC keyword on DDS is in
the right direction, but it would be nice if it didn't have the
restrictions in actually getting the image to print, on what we
understand to be a fairly new printer.

Regards,
Hawk
Rodney Johnson
2005-08-19 13:44:21 UTC
Some of us developers here at IBM understand your pain. For years I've
been passing on to our planners that we need a low cost color image
solution. I thought with the AFPRSC keyword we would finally accomplish
that...unfortunately for numerous reasons the support for the keyword
did not get into Host Print Transform.

As always, I'll keep reminding our planners of the need. The problem is
you the customer really have to do the requesting...us developers rarely
have much influence.

sender.
Hawk
2005-08-22 04:09:02 UTC
Rodney -- so how do we, as customers, do that? I'd love to send
someone at IBM a nice note. And I will be nice. We need to work
together to find a solution, it's just frustrating on this end...

Thanks much,
Hawk
Rodney Johnson

sender.
k***@gmail.com
2005-08-22 17:36:09 UTC
For now, the best resolution may be to use Infoprint Server to convert
the spooled files (with the AFPRSC keyword used) into PDF files and
then print the PDF files to PDF capable printers. This would allow the
use of printers which do not support object containers, and would be a
good transition to any emailing of PDFs you may be required to do
later.

Kurt Schroeder
IBM Rochester - Print Support

f***@gmail.com
2005-08-11 19:18:41 UTC
I believe you may want to check out ExcelliPrint software. No Dimm or
extra programming/hassle needed. Worked great for us without having to
buy more printers...

Frank