A6005090 on IPL
Koohiisan
2006-08-12 21:37:26 UTC
I posted a topic here recently about acquiring an old model 600 from
work...they finally let me have it free! Though I paid greatly in the
effort four people had to spend getting it down 3 flights of stairs and
then loading it into the passenger seat of my 1988 Olds Toronado...

Anyway, I have it here at home with only power hooked up. On a BN IPL
I get A6005090. There are two lights on the front. I assume the left
one is the attention light. It is lit, while the right light continues
to flash often. I looked up the error code and it seems to be the
message for 'missing disk', but there are 5 hard drives installed 6606
and 6607 types...I only see 5 slots in front for drives...so aren't
they all there?

I know that one drive was pulled from this unit and used to xfer our
files to the newer AS400 we purchased 3 years ago...I am guessing that
it was then put back in here...since there are no empty disk slots.

What could be causing my problem? Thanks in advance for your help!
Brad
2006-08-13 10:46:48 UTC
Koohiisan

It could be the removal of the disk, it will depend on whether the disk
that was taken from your system was removed using the DST functions or
if it was just removed.

IBM would recommend you run their Published procedure LIC-PIP11 to
diagnose the fault. You can find this and more details of the 5090
error at the following site (just search for 5090)

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/index.htm?info/rzar7/rzar7b6xx.htm

Assuming the worst, that you've either had the disk incorrectly
removed, used and replaced or that you've had a disk fail in transit
with not disk protection. Then you are going to have to reload OS/400
on your system at home.

But I'd start with LIC-PIP11 and check for sure.

Good luck, Brad.
jacko
2006-08-13 14:31:12 UTC
Here is what I found online, hope it helps.

The DASD I/O Adapter could not be configured correctly after

the IPL. I/O Processor microcode was changed to reset the

adapter and retry the configuration
Good luck, Brad.
Koohiisan
2006-08-13 18:15:45 UTC
So how would I reset the adapter?

I looked over the article on IBM per the prior post...but I have no
console so I can not get to DST...also, although I plugged a network
line into the network adapter on back (#2838) I never showed
connectivity on my router and could not get into the box via Operations
Navigator. What can I do? I really don't want a twinax 5250 terminal
laying around just for these rare console needs if I can get by with
something via network. Ideas?
Good luck, Brad.
b***@gmail.com
2006-08-13 21:33:32 UTC
I have a running 600 and, from the problem analysis manual for models
6xx (SY44-5955-01), here's what you can do to determine the problem:

How to find the Cause Code:
Select function 13 on the control panel and press the Enter key. The 8
characters of the SRC are displayed. The 4 leftmost characters are the
cause code.

Depending on the cause code (0001 to 00299) different actions are
performed but most do involve IPL to DST.

So you do need a console.

In my case, I use a PC running client access, connected with a special
serial cable to the first comm port on the 600; it's a little tricky to
configure a serial console. In your case, it may be easier to
borrow/buy a twinax terminal (or twinax emulation card for a PC) if
that's what the 600 was originally configured as.
Good luck, Brad.
b***@gmail.com
2006-08-13 21:55:58 UTC
I have a running 600 and, from the problem analysis manual for models
6xx (SY44-5955-01), here's what you can do to determine the problem:

How to find the Cause Code:
Select function 13 on the control panel and press the Enter key. The 8
characters of the SRC are displayed. The 4 leftmost characters are the
cause code.

Depending on the cause code (0001 to 0099) different actions are

Good luck, Brad.
Koohiisan
2006-08-14 13:18:38 UTC
So how much do these PC emulation cards cost? I looked briefly on
eBay, but I'm not 100% sure what to look for...do I need additional
software too? I have enough PC parts to throw together a little one to
use just as a terminal, and connect it to my existing PC monitor with a
KVM switch...tada, no extra monitor!

Or is there no way around just having a plain ol' green screen taking
up space?

Thanks!
Good luck, Brad.
Gilbert Noetzel
2006-08-14 13:30:40 UTC
You will need to get a IBM PC 5250 Emulation Card
5250 Software
Twinax T-Cable to connect the 15-pin Cable to Twinax cable

and after all that ..you should be crusing on your PC as a Twinax terminal.

Gil
Good luck, Brad.
b***@gmail.com
2006-08-14 14:14:55 UTC
Have you determined the Cause Code? I can look up the steps needed
after that.

Could you borrow a console (assuming it's twinax) form work? After you
have it up and running you should be able to configure it to use a PC
as console.

I've seen used 3179 terminals for sale for less than $100.
Good luck, Brad.
Koohiisan
2006-08-14 16:30:34 UTC
I'll look up the cause code when I get home, thanks.

BTW, I found an IBM 5250 emulator ISA card I can put in an old
PC...what do I need to do to connect the '400 to the PC? I know at
work we have twinax Y-adapters that match the DB15 connections on the
back of the '400 and the interface card for the PC...is this the route
I should go? Or should I look for/make a serial cable? Making it is
an option for me, as I can solder well, and have done similar before.
I hate to plop down extra $$$ for two Y-adapters that I will end up
barely ever using (I plan to use the PC card to get in and fix the
probs with the '400, then use Ops Nav thru the network from then on, if
possible)

Thanks for all your advice! I appreciate the knowledgeable folks here!
:)
Good luck, Brad.
b***@gmail.com
2006-08-14 17:43:12 UTC
What cable you need depends on the IOA that's in your 600 - see
"Primary Console Workstation Requirements" on p.110 in
http://www-900.ibm.com/cn/support/library/as400/download/sc415206.pdf
The IBM part number of the serial console cable I am using is 44H7504.
Good luck, Brad.
Koohiisan
2006-08-14 22:58:02 UTC
Well, I brought it back up to get the error code, and if I cycle the
display to say "13-3" and hit Enter I get 0002.

And I don't know what kind of IOA this box has...at all! I'll post a
pic of the back and you can let me know, because I have no clue what I
should hook up to... :(
Good luck, Brad.
Koohiisan
2006-08-14 23:07:27 UTC

This is a picture of the back of my unit, as promised.
b***@gmail.com
2006-08-15 01:14:49 UTC
Take a closer look at what is in C09 (I cannot tell from the picture).
Maybe you can see a part# in the back. Otherwise, open the left ocver
and remove the shield to expose the card in C09 - it's a PCI card
that's removable - look at the printed board to identify the feature
code/part#.
Post by Koohiisan
http://personalpages.tds.net/~lgerhard/images/P1010025.JPG
This is a picture of the back of my unit, as promised.
b***@gmail.com
2006-08-15 01:09:13 UTC
Here are the steps for this cause code:
(looks like you can figure out which unit it thinks is missing (step 3)
and make sure it's seated properly)
(based on this, also looks like you may need to do step 11, which
involves needing a console)

LIC pips
If the Cause Code is:

0002: Disk units are missing from the disk configuration.

Data from the control panel can be used to find information about the
missing disk unit. See "Hardware SRC Formats" in the AS/400 Service
Functions.

1. Did you enter this procedure because all the devices listed on the
Display Missing Units display (reached from the Disk Configuration
Error Report or the Disk Configuration Warning Report display) have a
reference code of 0000?
No Yes
| Go to step 20 of this procedure.
2. Have you installed a new disk enclosure in a disk unit and not
restored the data to the disk unit?
No Yes
| Ignore SRC A600 5090.
Continue with the disk unit exchange recovery procedure (see
"Disk Service
Support" in Chapter 7, "Recovery Procedures" on page 7-1).
This ends the procedure.
3. Use the function 11 through 18 information recorded on the Problem
Summary Form to determine the disk unit that stopped communicating with
the system:
· Function 14 four rightmost characters contain the IOP direct select
address.
· Function 16 contains the disk unit type, level and model number.
· Function 17 contains the disk unit serial number.
Note: For 9337 Disk Units, the 5 rightmost characters contain the disk
unit serial number.
Are the problem disk units 660x or 671x Disk Units?
No Yes
| Go to step 5 of this procedure.
4. Attempt to get all devices attached to the MSIOP to Ready status by
performing the following:
a. The MSIOP address (MSIOP Direct Select Address) to use is the four
rightmost characters of function 14.
b. Verify the following and correct if necessary before continuing with
step 11 of this procedure:
· All cable connections are made correctly and are tight.
· All storage devices have the correct signal bus address, as
indicated in the system configura-
tion list.
Chapter 4. Problem Isolation Procedures (PIPs) 4-65

LIC pips
- All storage devices are powered on and ready.
5. Did you enter this procedure because there was an entry in the
Service Action Log which has the reference code B6005090?
Yes No
| Go to step 11 of this procedure.
6. Are customer jobs running on the system now?
Yes No
| Attention: Ensure that the customer is not running any jobs
before continuing with this proce-
dure.
Go to step 11 of this procedure.
7. Perform the following:
a. Select System Service Tools (SST).
b. Select the Work with disk units option.
c. Select the Display disk configuration option.
d. Select the Display disk configuration status option.
Are any disk units missing from the configuration?
Note: Missing disk units are indicated by an asterisk (*).
This ends the procedure.
8. Do all of the disk units that are missing from the configuration
have a status of "Suspended"?
Yes No
Attention: Ensure that the customer is not running any jobs before
continuing with this proce-
dure.
Go to step 11 of this procedure.
9. Use the Service Action Log to determine if there are any entries for
the missing disk units (see "Using
the Service Action Log" on page 1-5).
Are there any entries in the Service Action Log for the missing disk
units that were logged since the
last IPL?
Yes No
3· Go to step 21 of this procedure.
10. Use the information in the Service Action Log and go to the SRC
information for the specific disk unit
in Chapter 2, "Unit Reference Codes" on page 2-1.
Perform the action indicated for the unit reference code.
This ends the procedure.
11. Select Manual mode and perform an IPL to DST (see "Dedicated
Service Tools (DST)" in the AS/400
Sen/ice Functions information).
Does the Disk Configuration Error Report or the Disk Configuration
Warning Report display appear?

4-66 AS/400 940x Models 600, 620, S10 and S20 Problem Analysis, Repair
and Parts V4R2
Good luck, Brad.
MainFrame
2006-08-15 22:17:42 UTC
Koohiisan...
and Brad....

I will try to save you some time and trouble.

I specialize in AS-400 - Hardware and Software. I am an independent
Technical Services Specialist and Installer. Sorry for not reading
these threads sooner but I just completed 7 service request with
Electrical Static damage here in the Carolinas' so I running a little
thin right now. I other words its "Lightning Season" in the Carolinas'.

To start with you mentioned that one of the disk was migrated to the
new platform. When we complete this task during a system migration the
data from this disk is transferred along with VPD (Vital Product Data)
using a GIG-MIG (Giga Migration) process. This makes this disk
"Non-Configured" there for nothing is on it or at least it appears to
be "Scratched" or blank. VPD is like a finger print or list of
identification that make all the parts in the AS-400 function as a
whole on the system installed. If VPD is gone then the disk can't be
recovered because it appears as "Non-Configured" and ready to be added.
VPD usually can't be recovered except with disk recovery procedures on
"Failing" disk. Not on drives that have be successfully GIG-MIG'ed.
Also there is a much larger problem, If this is the case, the disk that
was used for this migration would have been the "Load Source" drive
that has "LIC" (Licensed Internal Code) resident so you may not be able
to IPL the system to DST anyway. You would have to IPL from tape or CD
with a LIC copy or backup and there are many versions of the software
to chose from. This is called a "ALT-IPL" or IPL form the "D" side. You
need to be sensitive with the versions also and be aware of the fact
that IBM will require keys for the OS-400 OP-SYS if you are planning on
using this system. You have a 70-day grace window for the OP-SYS after
installation and before you installs the keys. Question -- Did you get
the keys or a full system backup form the end-user? Question -- Do you
know the VxRxMx (Version/Release/Modifications) levels of the previous
register release of OS-400? Question -- Are you planning on putting
this system into service or use it for business applications and
development? Without valid keys from IBM or previous user you will have
a heart attack asking IBM for a quote. I have seen prices anywhere from
20k to 800k depending on the tier or group and this key only come from
IBM. You can use anybody's CD's to build the system but only have 70
days to install valid keys.

Well on with the hardware -- The load source disk should be in
location "L01" or the far-left slot on the top. This system can
actually handle 10 disk internally but there is an expansion feature
for the additional 5 disk below the 5 that are you say are installed.
It take equal numbers and like features to mirror and at least 4 of one
type to start RAID so I would say that this system is not data
protected and we will not be able to fake the system into re-building
itself. (FC-6606 -2gb and FC-6607 - 4.19gb) The card that is in
location C09 in the back is a FC-2720 and there is a required 4 port
"Brick" with twinax turrets to accommodate the console. (Ether PC with
5250 emulation or dumb terminal like the 3179 someone mentioned) BTW -
Us old hardware knuckle buster love dumb terminal for midrange and
mainframe system because they always work. PC 5250 will require special
emulation and adapter handling software to connect and there can be
PTF's (Program Temporary Fixes) for the OS for some of these product to
work well. The Cable that is missing is PN# 72X5645 (Twinaxial 4 Port 6
meter) You could convert the system to Client Access Console by
exchanging the Twinax console feature with a Communications adapter but
I think you already have your hands full, but this would allow use of a
PC with a special cable to manage the system. (Card FC-2721 or 2745
with special cable PN# 97H7557).

Well best of luck. This system will be OK, I clean them up all the time
but you have certain thing that have to be done in certain orders. You
are welcome to e-mail me. I know most of the Independent TPM shops and
IBM hardware installers, in the states at least, if you need
recommendations for assistance or I could try to walk you through
scratching this system and cleaning it up with phone support. Check out
one of my web sites for my business card - www.AS400Installer.Com.

JD Robertson -- Carolina Computer Technical Services, Inc.
i5guy
2006-08-16 02:10:06 UTC
The card in C09 is an Operations Console card. You can use your PC as a
console if you install iseries access, and have the right cable to go
from the 600 to the serial port on your PC.
MainFrame
2006-08-16 14:55:19 UTC
Post by i5guy
The card in C09 is an Operations Console card. You can use your PC as a
console if you install iseries access, and have the right cable to go
from the 600 to the serial port on your PC.
Actually Koohiisan supplied a Pic of the tailgate of this machine a few
days ago in the threads. The card in C09 is a FC-2720 that requires a 4
port Twinax adapter cable PN# 72X5645 (4 Port Twinax Brick). It does
have one EIA-232 / V.24 interface along with it but that can't be used
for serial CA - OP's Con. I mentioned the Features and special cable
required converting this machine to Serial OP's Con but at this time
he will not be able to even get a DST screen to change the console
"Type" in the environment. This was set while this machine has been
Twinax Console and it is a real pain in the ass just to swap the card
without changing to "Type" in the enviorment prior to exchanging the
card and physical console.

The bigger problem here is the fact that the "Load Source" disk
probably had VPD stripped off it during a Site - Model MES upgrade to
the new target 9406-800 that replaced this machine. (Also mentioned in
the earlier threads) I do these types of upgrades all the time and when
the LIC has been "Disk to Disk" migrated, the "Source" disk becomes
Non-Configured and the new "Target" becomes active with VPD for the new
system. The "Cause Code" of 0006 or 0010 and higher also indicates VPD
mismatch or missing LIC on Load Source. This will terminate IPL with
SRC A6xx-5090, seen it many times. If you look at SRC A6xx-5092 there
are recovery steps but this customer had a successful migration so that
mean the disk migration process completed successfully.

If Koohiisan is able to find old OS-400 License Keys to install once
the system has been "Scratch Installed" then the effort to get this
machine running will be worth it. (Or an old "Full System" backup) I
have e-mailed this end-user and offered assistance building and
installing this machine but I have to know VxRxMx LIC and OS to work
with. I have IBM supplied copies of most all LIC and OS-400 versions
and releases but as we all know... I don't know the algorithm that
spits out the Keys. These come from IBM Asset Protection so putting
time and effort into getting this machine up and running will be based
on good keys to build with. I have warehouses full of AS-400's and
parts. Unfortunately the only ones that can be sold or brokered as a
functional machine have to ether be eligible for "Entitlement" with
Transfer of Ownership documentation recognized by IBM or the actual
customer has to be transferring "Entitlement" from a installed entitled
machine with IBM's blessings. It's all paperwork any more.

Fortunately Koohiisan was given this machine and only has a little time
and a sore back moving it if we can't fine Keys or a old "Go Save / OPT
21" laying around in the in the IT department. I get about a dozen call
a year from customer that actually bought these systems on E-bay and
don't understand the 70 day grace window before the Keys have to be
laid down. Hey... Sometime you get luck and they run but they are not
"Entitled" so you can't work with IBM at all for release upgrades,
support or even PTF's. All Midrange and Mainframe IBM OP-Systems
require 16 digit alpha codes to be "Married" to the correct machine
SN". OH... IBM will sell you OS-400 Keys for this machine for about 20K
in the P05 group (Processor Feature 2129) or as much as 100k in the P20
group (Processor Feature 2136) on the 9406-600 platform. Some of the
big LPAR boxes like the 9406-890's that are not entitled could run in
the 800K range just for OS-400. This is why we give away the old one
and how IBM get customers to migrate to the new System i5.

Sorry for all the dialog but I provide these details for anyone that
doesn't understand "Entitlement". I hate to see someone spend $1000.00
on e-bay for nothing. I can make just about any AS-400 work but only
for 70 days usually.

Good Luck All -- JDR --